In combination with shipporter my US partners are now able to sea freight to Australia. This is much more cost effective for orders over 110 lbs (50 kg). My FAQ pages has more details about this new option, but these are some important points to keep in mind if you are thinking of using sea freight.
- It is slow. Expect to wait 6 to 8 weeks at least.
- It is not cost effective for smaller orders. Sea freight is not a cheap substitute for UPS or USPS shipping. It really is only worthwhile for shipping items with an actual or volumetric weight greater than 100 lbs.
- The size limit is 400cm x 210cm x 210cm. This is pretty big!
- Sea freight is more complex than air shipping. Because of this it is not possible to give 100% accurate quotes in advance, but I have tried to be conservative in estimating the likely costs on my shipping cost calculator. I expect that the major of orders will cost less than what my shipping cost calculator estimates based on the weight, but it is worth keeping in mind that it might be more.
- Freight is shipped out of California. Because of this there may be Californian sales tax charged on the order by the original store. This will depend if the store has a physical presence in California or not.
Despite these caveats sea freight is a great option for shipping really large items.