Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Estimated customs duty price for laptop?

Posted by jhend60 
Estimated customs duty price for laptop?
February 11, 2012 07:38AM
Hi,
I am considering an order of an Alienware m11x laptop valued at a total of AU$1334. (High specs with Dell discounts, quoted price from PriceUSA). However, I want to know if it is worth it.

The comparible laptop in the Dell Australia store costs around 1900 dollars, but I have only just realised that this does not include duty/tax/handling from customs/any other hidden cost.

Knowing any previous sales of similar specs, does anyone have any estimates on how much extra customs (or UPS/freight etc) will charge me? It seems like there is such a large difference on the AU price vs US, and I need the higher specs as I am about to go into a Bachelor of IT.

Thanks.
Re: Estimated customs duty price for laptop?
February 11, 2012 09:20AM
There is no duty on laptops just GST (10%). If it is $1900 here then you will definitely be saving by ordering from the USA even if you have to pay GST.
February 16, 2012 05:19PM
Carolina are you sure of this? The only mention of "laptop" I can find on [www.customs.gov.au] is under the heading of BUSINESS TRAVELLERS

"Laptop computers and other similar electronic equipment for personal use may also be brought in duty/tax free provided Customs is satisfied you are taking these goods with you on departure."
[www.customs.gov.au]

That sentence of theirs does not even make sense to me: "departure" from where?
February 16, 2012 10:54PM
Yes I am sure of this - computers are one the only things over a $1000 I have personally bought from the USA. This has to do with the free trade agreement that Australia signed with the USA. You of course have to have to pay GST on anything over $1000, but there is no separate duty on laptops from the USA.

The section you are referring to is about business travellers to Australia.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login