Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Amazon Kindle With Special Offers

Posted by jetfixeruk 
Amazon Kindle With Special Offers
November 24, 2011 07:55AM
Anybody got a Kindle or Kindle Fire with the discount for accepting the special offers?

I was wondering if they work OK in Australia, seeing as if it connects to the internet in Oz the user won't have a USA IP address or US street address to sign up for the services.

Just ordered a Kindle Touch at the higher price as its a Christmas present and it MUST work.

I am thinking of ordering another at the discounted price, please give feedback on your experiences.
Re: Amazon Kindle With Special Offers
December 02, 2011 04:06AM
Hi jetfixeruk,

I haven't yet ordered the Kindle Touch or Fire but from a live chat I've just had with an Amazon Kindle support team member (questions slightly rephrased, answers as given):

Q: Will I be able to register a Kindle Touch that was purchased in the US with my Australian Amazon account?

A: The kindle touch is currently deliverable only in US. However, you can take it and register to your Australian account.

(which is the good news)

Q: If I purchase the model 'with special offers', will I still be able to register it to my Australian account, or will I be blocked from doing so?

A: The one with special offers will not work outside US.

So, assuming he is correctly informed (and that 'not work' doesn't merely mean the advertising won't get through), it appears that buying (via PriceUSA or equivalent proxy service) the full-priced model should work, whereas the discounted one will not.

But, if anyone has actually experienced purchasing one with special offers, please let us both know!
December 02, 2011 06:15AM
You apparently can remove the ads [y42k.wordpress.com]

Having said this I have not had anyone complain about the version with ads not working here.
December 02, 2011 07:21AM
Thanks for the info Carolina.

So, can you confirm that you have helped Aussies procure Kindles like the Touch using the 'with special offers' option? I.e., that there are definitely purchasers in Australia who have received and, presumably, used the Kindle with special offers and smaller price tag?

I'm not concerned if my Kindle has ads, only if I cannot register it with my Australian credit card and billing details. If you have proof positive that others have not had any issues of this sort then it'll make my decision easier.

Thanks,
James.
December 02, 2011 09:30AM
Yes I can confirm that Australians have received Kindles "with special offers". All I can say in regards them working here is that I have not had any complaints about them not working here. I would have expected to hear something by now if they didn't work here, but I can't say for certain.
December 02, 2011 09:35AM
Thanks Carolina. Yes, if sufficient time has passed for buyers to have used them then you would surely have heard something (and, of course, satisfied customers have no reason to revisit the forum to share their [positive] experience). I will assume that they can work and assemble my order accordingly.
January 15, 2012 06:25AM
I have bought a Kindle Touch with special offers (WiFi) and registered it for use in Australia. It works so far.
January 17, 2012 01:37PM
RichardinSydney Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have bought a Kindle Touch with special offers
> (WiFi) and registered it for use in Australia. It
> works so far.

I second that. At first there's no ads or special offers, but after registering the Kindle through WiFi the special offer start to show (as a banner on the bottom of home screen, or as a screen saver). We might not receive various special offers (US based only) but the device works.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login